Best Video Doorbells for Canadian Winter. Winter in Canada can be harsh, with temperatures dropping below freezing and snow piling up on your doorstep. As a homeowner, it’s important to ensure that your home is secure and that you can keep an eye on your visitors even during the coldest months of the year.
That’s where video doorbell cameras come in handy. But with so many options on the market, it can be daunting to choose the right one.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
In this article, we’ll take a look at the five best video doorbells for Canadian Winter 2023.
These doorbells are not only reliable and durable but also packed with features that will make your life easier. So, whether you’re expecting a package delivery or just want to keep an eye on your property, read on to find the perfect video doorbell for your needs.
The Average Wireless Doorbell Working Temperature Range in Canada
Canadian winters can be harsh, with temperatures dropping to sub-zero levels. In such extreme weather conditions, it’s crucial to have a wireless doorbell that can withstand cold temperatures and operate optimally. The average working temperature range of wireless doorbells is between -4°C to 40°C, which is ideal for most electrical devices.
However, this range may not be sufficient for some areas in Canada, where the temperature can drop below -22°C. Hence, it’s necessary to choose a wireless doorbell with a broader temperature range to ensure it can function correctly during winter.
Some wireless doorbells are specifically designed for Canada’s winter and can operate optimally at -22°C. It’s essential to check with the manufacturer before purchasing a smart doorbell to avoid voiding any warranty.
Below are some key points to consider regarding the working temperature range of wireless doorbells in Canada:
- The average working temperature range of wireless doorbells is between -4°C to 40°C.
- This range may not be sufficient for some areas in Canada, where the temperature can drop below -22°C.
- It’s necessary to choose a wireless doorbell with a broader temperature range to ensure it can function correctly during winter.
- Some wireless doorbells are specifically designed for Canadian winters and can operate optimally at -22°C.
- It’s highly recommended to check with the manufacturer before purchasing a smart doorbell to avoid voiding any warranty.
In conclusion, choosing a wireless doorbell with a suitable working temperature range is crucial for Canadian winters. Extreme weather conditions can affect the performance of a video doorbell, leading to missed visitors or security breaches.
Hence, it’s essential to do thorough research and select a doorbell that can withstand cold temperatures and operate optimally.
Checking with the manufacturer and opting for specific models designed for Canadian winters can save you from the hassle of dealing with malfunctioning devices during extreme weather conditions.
5 of the Best Wireless Doorbells for Canadian Winters according to us
Canadian winters can be harsh, with temperatures dropping to extreme lows. It’s important to have a reliable wireless doorbell that can withstand these conditions while providing added security to your home.
After extensive research and evaluation, we have compiled a list of the top 5 wireless doorbells that are perfect for Canadian winters.
1. Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell
The Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is an ideal choice for Canadian winters due to its ability to operate in temperatures ranging from -40 to +140 degrees Fahrenheit.
This wireless doorbell camera offers easy installation, clear and crisp images, and color night vision.
It connects to your WiFi network and alerts you when someone rings the bell, allowing you to see and speak to the visitor from anywhere in the world via your smartphone or tablet.
As well, the doorbell has the capability of recording full footage, making it easier to observe who was at the door even when you are not present.
The Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell operates best between a temperature range of -40ºF to +140ºF degrees. This means that it can withstand extreme weather conditions, making it the ideal video doorbell for use in all seasons.
Skybell Video Doorbell specs
The Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is a highly popular device in Canada that allows homeowners to keep a watchful eye on their doorstep from anywhere using their mobile devices.
- The device boasts a number of impressive specifications, including a 1080p HD camera with a 180-degree field of view, allowing for a clear and comprehensive view of visitors.
- The doorbell also features motion detection, two-way audio, and night vision, providing advanced security features that are essential for Canadian winters.
- The device is compatible with both iOS and Android devices, making it accessible to a wide range of users.
Overall, the Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is an excellent choice for homeowners in Canada looking for a reliable and advanced security solution.
Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is a popular choice in Canada for homeowners looking to enhance their home security. It offers a range of unique features that make it stand out from its competitors.
- Temperature range of -40ºF to +140ºF
- It is compatible with both iOS and Android devices, making it accessible to all users.
- Its two-way audio system provides clear communication between the user and the visitor, ensuring that no important information is missed.
- Its motion sensor capabilities make it an excellent choice for Canadian winters, as it can detect movement even in low light conditions.
One possible drawback of the Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is its installation process, which can be somewhat challenging.
Some users have reported difficulty installing the device and connecting it to their Wi-Fi network. This can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially for those who are not tech-savvy.
Another potential issue is the device’s limited viewing distance. While the 180-degree field of view is impressive, the camera’s range is limited, which means that homeowners may not be able to see visitors who are standing further away from the door.
This could be a problem if someone is trying to deliver a package or if there is an unexpected visitor who is not immediately visible on camera.
Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell may send false alerts occasionally, especially if its motion sensors are triggered by non-human movements such as branches swaying in the wind or passing cars.
This can be annoying and may cause users to ignore alerts altogether, which defeats the purpose of having a video doorbell.
What Skybell Users are saying
Based on the research, SkyBell users have mixed reviews about their experience with the Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell. While some customers praise the video quality and free recording feature, others express frustration with tech problems, slow response from the service team, and limited support.
The SkyBell HD app is generally well-liked for its simplicity and intuitive features, but some users have reported a decline in quality and connectivity issues.
Despite these limitations, the Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is still a good buy for those looking for a reliable and feature-rich video doorbell. Its coloured night vision, Amazon Alexa support, and straightforward mobile application are all strong selling points.
While the installation process and limited viewing distance may be potential drawbacks, they can be overcome with patience and strategic placement of the device. Overall, the Honeywell SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell is a solid choice for homeowners who want to keep an eye on their front door.
2. Ezviz Video Doorbell
The Ezviz Video Doorbell is an ideal choice for Canadian winters due to its ability to operate in extreme temperatures ranging from -22ºF to +140ºF. It is also waterproof and dustproof, making it perfect for harsh weather conditions.
The high-resolution camera captures clear images from any angle, and the night vision feature allows for easy identification of visitors even in the dark. With a built-in 2-megapixel camera and a two-way talk system, the Ezviz Video Doorbell is an excellent addition to any home security system in Canada.
The doorbell is also weatherproof with an IP65 rating and is rated for temperatures between -22°F (-30°C) and 140°F (60°C).
Ezviz Video Doorbell Specs
- It features a camera with a 170° vertical view angle and night vision capabilities of up to 5 meters.
- The video compression standard is H.265/H.264, and the max resolution is 1536*1536 QXGA, with a frame rate of up to 15fps.
- The doorbell also includes a PIR motion detection sensor, motion detection with person-shape detection, and long-distance video two-way talk.
- It supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity and has a microSD card slot for local storage of up to 128GB.
Overall, the EZVIZ Video Doorbell is a reliable and efficient device that provides a high level of home security and convenience.
Ezviz Video Doorbell Strengths
- This video doorbell is weatherproof, making it perfect for use in any condition.
- It also has a clear view from any angle, ensuring that you can always see what is happening at your front door.
- The Ezviz Video Doorbell has a built-in 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless system, which means that it will work with most home Wi-Fi networks.
- It has a two-way talk system so that you can communicate with the person at your door, even in temperatures from -22F to 140F.
- The built-in motion detector will send alerts to your phone when someone is at your door, and it also has night vision so you can see who’s at your door even in the dark.
The Ezviz Video Doorbell also offers good resolution, easy connection to most wireless networks, and a free cloud storage subscription so you can review footage from past events.
Overall, the Ezviz Video Doorbell is a top pick for Canadian winters due to its weather-resistant design, HD video quality, customizable motion detection zones, and other advanced features.
Ezviz Video Doorbell Drawbacks
- Does not include two-factor authentication for sign-in
- AI human detection feature wasn’t reliable
- Hardwired only
What Ezviz Users are saying
The Ezviz Video Doorbell has received positive reviews from users, with many praising its night vision, weatherproofing, and clear view from any angle.
The two-way talk system and its ability to operate in temperatures from -22F to 140F make it a great choice for those who live in colder climates. The built-in motion detector and free cloud storage subscription are also highly appreciated features.
However, some users have noted that the viewing distance may be limited for some users, and the fish-eye lens distortion can be a downside.
Overall, the Ezviz Video Doorbell is a quality video doorbell that offers good resolution, night vision, and easy connection to most wireless networks.
It is highly recommended for Canadian winters due to its weatherproofing and ability to operate in extreme temperatures. Consider the Ezviz Video Doorbell for your home security needs.
3. Night Owl Video Doorbell
The Night Owl Video Doorbell Camera is a reliable and affordable option for those looking for a video doorbell that works well during Canadian winters.
With its 1080P video resolution, real-time dual sensor, and ability to operate in temperatures ranging from -22 F to +140 F, it provides timely notifications and clear footage even in extreme weather conditions.
As well, the camera has a 30-foot night vision distance and two-way audio, making it ideal for security purposes.
So, the Night Owl Video Doorbell Camera is a practical and effective way to keep your home or business secure during the cold winter months.
Night Owl Operating Temperature
The Night Owl Video Doorbell Camera has an impressive operating temperature range of -22ºF to +140ºF degrees, making it ideal for the coldest climates.
Night Owl Video Doorbell Specs
Here are some of the key features of the Night Owl Video Doorbell that make it a top contender for the 5 Best Video Doorbells for Canadian Winter:
- 1080P video resolution: The Night Owl Video Doorbell boasts a high-definition video resolution that allows homeowners to clearly see who is at their doorstep.
- Night vision capabilities: With a night vision distance of up to 30 feet, this device is perfect for security purposes, even in the darkest of nights.
- Wide-angle view: The doorbell’s 140° wide-angle view provides extensive coverage of your property, allowing you to see everything that’s happening outside your home.
- Two-way audio: The Night Owl Video Doorbell offers two-way audio, allowing you to hear the person on the other side of the door or through video chat.
- Weather-resistant: This device is weatherproof, making it durable enough to withstand harsh Canadian winters.
Night Owl Strengths
The Night Owl Video Doorbell is a highly popular security camera in Canada, thanks to its superior features and budget-friendly price. This doorbell is designed to withstand all weather conditions, making it a reliable choice for Canadian homeowners.
Its installation process is easy and hassle-free, and it connects seamlessly to most wireless networks.
The Night Owl Video Doorbell captures high-quality video footage with a resolution of 1080P, ensuring that you get a clear view of all activities at your front door.
Its night vision capability is another great strength, with a distance of up to 30 feet, ensuring that your property is secure even in the dark.
More, the doorbell sends quick alerts when it detects motion, providing real-time monitoring and warning notifications in advance.
In summary, the Night Owl Video Doorbell is a top choice for Canadian homeowners due to its weather-resistant design, high-quality video recording, easy installation process, and excellent night vision capabilities.
Night Owl Drawbacks
- The system cuts in and out
- The doorbell is not compatible with all existing solutions
- A separate SD card is needed for the front door
- App drains phone battery faster
- Glitches with push notifications and sound quality
What Night Owl Users Are Saying
While some users have reported issues with the service cutting in and out, others have praised the camera’s 1080 HD picture quality and audio capabilities.
The ability to use a microSD card for storage without having to pay cloud fees has also been a highlight for many users.
However, there have been some reported glitches with the app and push notifications not always alerting users to motion. Overall, the Night Owl Video Doorbell has a 63% recommendation rate from users.
4. August Video Doorbell
The August Video Doorbell is a great option for those who want to ensure home security in cold weather climates. With its 12-24VAC wired power, it can withstand temperatures as low as -13 degrees Fahrenheit and still provide full-color night vision.
Moreover, it offers 24-hour video recording at no extra cost, making it a reliable surveillance tool for Canadian winters.
Although some users have noted issues with volume and video recording, the August Video Doorbell remains a top choice for its ease of use and quick alerts in case of suspicious activity.
August Operating Temperature
The August Video Doorbell is an efficient option for Canadian winters as it operates at temperatures as low as -13ºF (-25ºC). However, it’s important to note that the device’s performance may be affected during extremely cold temperatures.
To ensure reliable service, users should take precautions such as installing the doorbell in a protected area and keeping it clean from snow and ice buildup.
It’s crucial to consider the operating temperature of a video doorbell when choosing one for Canadian winters as extreme temperatures can lead to irreversible system failure and decreased performance.
Therefore, the August Video Doorbell is a great purchase for those in colder climates, but it’s important to take necessary precautions during extreme temperatures.
August Video Doorbell Specs
Here are the specifications of the August Video Doorbell:
- Camera: The August Video Doorbell comes equipped with a camera that has a resolution of 1280×960 pixels. This provides a clear and detailed image of the person at the door.
- Video Quality: The video quality of the August Video Doorbell is high definition, with a resolution of 720 – 1080 pixels. This ensures that the user can see everything clearly, even in low-light conditions.
- Night Vision: The August Video Doorbell has full-color night vision that allows users to see visitors in the dark. This feature is especially useful for homeowners who live in areas with low lighting.
- Motion Detection: The August Video Doorbell is equipped with motion detection technology that sends alerts to the user’s smartphone when someone approaches the door. This feature is customizable, allowing users to adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor.
- Audio: The August Video Doorbell has two-way audio that allows users to communicate with visitors at their doorstep. This feature is especially useful for homeowners who are not at home but want to communicate with visitors. The audio quality is clear, and there is also a noise-cancellation feature that ensures that the sound is not distorted.
August Video Doorbell Strengths
The August Video Doorbell is a great device for those who want to keep their property secure. This doorbell has a lot of strengths that make it one of the best options on the market. Here are some of the strengths of the August Video Doorbell:
- HD video quality
- 180-degree field of view
- Motion detection capabilities
- Two-way audio
- Compatibility with smart home systems
August Video Doorbell Drawbacks
- Requires to be plugged in
- Some users have reported poor volume and video recording functionality
What August Users Are Saying
Customer reviews are an important factor to consider when making a decision about purchasing a video doorbell. In general, August video doorbell users have had positive experiences with the device. Users appreciate the quick alerts that are sent when someone is at the door, as well as the easy set-up process.
In addition, the August video doorbell’s ability to record all events for later viewing has been praised. Another benefit of the device is its ability to work in cold weather climates, with the doorbell camera functioning at temperatures as low as -13-degrees Fahrenheit.
However, some users have reported issues with the volume not functioning properly and poor video recording. Despite these concerns, the overall sentiment of August users toward their video doorbell is positive.
The August video doorbell offers a reliable and easy-to-use option for enhancing home security.
5. Ring Video Doorbell 2
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 is considered one of the best video doorbells for Canadian winter due to its advanced features and durability.
Its HD video camera captures clear images, even in low-light conditions, and its motion sensors provide real-time notifications to alert homeowners of any approaching motion.
The device is also weather-resistant, making it ideal for harsh Canadian winters. More, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 can be easily installed and monitored remotely through a smartphone app, providing homeowners with peace of mind and enhanced home security.
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a reliable and effective option for protecting homes during the winter season.
The operating temperature of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is between -5°F to 120°F (-20.5°C to 48.5°C). This means that it can work efficiently in cold weather and will not let you down even when the temperature drops.
Ring Video Doorbell 2 specs
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a smart doorbell that offers advanced security features and is suitable for Canadian Winter 2023.
Its technical specifications include:
- Dimensions: 5.05 x 2.50 x 1.08 inches
- Video quality: HD 1080p
- Power source: Removable battery or hardwired
- Connectivity options: Wi-Fi, Alexa integration
- Unique features: Two-way audio, live-view on demand, motion detection, 30-day trial, and voice control.
Ring Video Doorbell 2 Strengths
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a top contender for the best video doorbell in Canadian Winter. This smart doorbell has several strengths that make it a reliable and convenient option for homeowners.
Here are some of its strengths:
- Removable Battery: The Ring Video Doorbell 2 can be hardwired or run solely on battery power. This provides homeowners with flexibility and convenience, as they can choose the method that best suits their needs.
- 30-day Trial: Ring offers a 30-day trial during which homeowners can record, save, and share all the videos captured by their smart doorbell. This allows homeowners to test out the device before committing to a subscription plan.
- Voice Control: When paired with Amazon Alexa, homeowners can effectively command their smart doorbell using simple voice commands. This feature also allows the Echo device to illuminate and make announcements whenever someone is at the door.
- Two-way Audio & Live-View on Demand: The Ring Video Doorbell 2 allows homeowners to not only see who is outside their home via live-view on demand but communicate with them too! Using the two-way talk feature, homeowners can easily instruct delivery persons on where to leave their package or warn potential thieves away from their doorstep. This feature puts homeowners in full control of what happens outside their homes, at all times.
Possible Drawbacks of Ring Video Doorbell 2
The live-view on-demand feature only works when the doorbell is hardwired, which may be inconvenient for those who prefer to use the battery option.
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 may malfunction in extreme weather conditions, as several customers have reported issues with the device not working properly in temperatures lower than -5°F (-20.5°C).
Other possible issues include a bulky design, a grating notification sound, and no free video storage.
Despite these potential drawbacks, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is still worth considering for those who prioritize features such as voice control and customizable motion zones.
What to Look for when buying a Video Doorbell Camera that can stand cold weather in Canada
When it comes to choosing a video doorbell camera for Canadian winters, one of the most critical factors to consider is the temperature range.
Canadian winters can be harsh, with temperatures often dropping below freezing. Therefore, it’s crucial to choose a video doorbell camera that can withstand these frigid temperatures without malfunctioning.
Temperature range refers to the range of temperatures that a video doorbell camera can operate within without experiencing any problems. Most wireless doorbells have an average temperature range of -4°C to 40°C, which is suitable for many parts of the world.
However, in Canada, where temperatures can drop as low as -40°C, it’s important to look for video doorbell cameras with a broader temperature range.
When making a purchase, it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure that the video doorbell camera can withstand the temperature range in your area.
Failure to do so could lead to missed visitors or malfunctioning. For example, if the camera’s temperature range is too narrow, it may stop working altogether in extreme weather conditions.
When looking for a video doorbell camera that can withstand cold weather in Canada, it’s important to consider compatibility features to ensure maximum functionality.
Here are some necessary compatibility features to look for:
- Operating temperature: Make sure the camera’s operating temperature is suitable for cold weather. Look for cameras with an operating temperature range of at least -20°C to -30°C.
- Power source: Check if the camera is compatible with your existing doorbell wiring or if it requires a separate power source. Some cameras may not work with certain types of transformers or require a specific voltage.
- Wi-Fi connectivity: Ensure that the camera is compatible with your home’s Wi-Fi network. Some cameras may only work with specific frequencies or require a strong signal to function properly.
- Mobile app compatibility: Look for cameras that are compatible with your mobile device’s operating system, so you can easily access the camera’s features and control settings remotely.
Wired or wireless
When it comes to choosing a video doorbell camera, it’s important to consider the weather conditions in your area. In Canada, where cold temperatures are common, it’s especially important to choose a camera that can withstand the elements.
Wired doorbell cameras are more reliable and offer better quality video, but they can be difficult to install without pre-existing wiring and may take up extra space on your front porch.
On the other hand, wireless doorbell cameras are easier to install, but may not be as reliable in cold weather and may suffer from lower-quality video.
While both options have their pros and cons, a wired doorbell camera powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) is likely the best choice for cold weather in Canada, as it ensures 24/7 connectivity and avoids the inconvenience of changing out batteries frequently.
When it comes to video doorbell cameras, having a reliable two-way communication system is crucial, especially during the harsh Canadian winter. This feature allows homeowners to communicate with visitors and delivery personnel, even when they are not at home.
However, not all video doorbell cameras are created equal, and it’s important to consider certain key features when choosing a camera with a two-way communication system that can stand cold weather in Canada.
Noise cancellation technology is an important feature to look for in a video doorbell camera with a two-way communication system. This technology helps to filter out background noise, making it easier for users to hear and communicate with visitors.
Compatibility with voice assistants is another feature to consider when choosing a video doorbell camera with a two-way communication system. This allows users to control the camera using voice commands, making it even more convenient to use.
When selecting a video doorbell camera suitable for Canadian winter, it is important to consider its durability and warranty. , A one-year limited warranty is standard, but some devices may offer replacement guarantees or satisfaction guarantees.
A good warranty provides assurance that the manufacturer will be there to help in case of any malfunctions or issues with the device.
The device should be able to withstand cold weather conditions and provide clear video footage and two-way communication with visitors.
When making a purchase, it is important to prioritize the device’s durability and warranty to ensure that it can be relied upon for years to come.
Reasons Why Some video doorbells Get Damaged When The Weather is Very Cold
Video doorbells can be a great addition to any home, but it’s important to understand why they can get damaged during very cold weather. In cold weather, there are several factors that can cause damage to video doorbells.
The electrical components inside the doorbell transmitter can slow down due to the cold weather, reducing the operating range and even causing the doorbell to stop working altogether.
Also, plastic can become extremely brittle in cold temperatures, leaving it prone to breaking. If the outer casing of the push button is damaged, it can expose the electrical components to water damage, which can be worsened by freezing temperatures.
Lastly, cold weather can cause batteries to lose their ability to hold a charge effectively, which can cause permanent damage. It’s essential to choose a video doorbell that is suitable for Canadian winters and can withstand extreme cold weather conditions.
In conclusion, choosing a video doorbell that is suitable for Canadian winters is crucial in ensuring the safety and security of your home. Based on the research, it is recommended to select a video doorbell that has a temperature rating of at least -5°F to 120°F (-20.5°C to 48.5°C) and is able to withstand extreme weather conditions.
It is also important to consider additional features such as motion detection and night vision. By making an informed decision when purchasing a video doorbell, homeowners can have peace of mind knowing that their home is protected year-round.
Remember, not all video doorbells are created equal, so choose wisely.
Does the Ring Video Doorbell Work in Cold Weather?
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a smart doorbell that operates within a temperature range of -5°F to 120°F, making it a suitable option for cold weather. With a 1080p HD camera, night-vision, adjustable motion zones, and a 160 degrees viewing zone, it provides excellent video quality even in low temperatures.
While some wireless doorbells may stop accepting external charges in extremely cold weather, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is reliable enough to withstand harsh Canadian winters.
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a great option for anyone looking for a video doorbell that can function well in cold weather.
Is There a Monthly Charge for the Ring Video Doorbell?
There is no mandatory monthly charge for the Ring Video Doorbell. However, users can opt to pay for a Ring Basic protection plan for $3 a month or a Ring Plus protection plan for $10 a month. The basic plan includes 60 days of video storage, while the Plus plan comes with professional monitoring.
Does Google Nest Hello work in winter?
The good news is that Google Nest Hello can withstand temperatures as low as -15°C (5°F), making it a great investment for those who experience mild winters.
Do nest outdoor cameras work in cold weather?
Nest outdoor cameras are a popular choice for homeowners looking for reliable home security. These cameras are equipped with features that make them suitable for use in extreme weather conditions, including Canadian winters.
The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, in particular, is designed to withstand harsh weather and provides clear video quality regardless of the temperature.
Here is a step-by-step explanation of how Nest outdoor cameras work in cold weather:
- Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is weatherproof and tamper-proof, making it a durable and reliable outdoor camera. It has an IP66 rating, which means it is protected against high-pressure water jets and heavy dust.
- The camera can operate in temperatures ranging from -40 to 45°C, making it suitable for Canadian winters.
- Nest Cam IQ Outdoor has a 4k sensor, a 1080p HD supervisor, and up to 12x digital zoom, which allows for clear close-ups and video quality regardless of the temperature.
- The camera has a built-in microphone with noise and echo cancellation and can record snaps from the last 3 hours of activity.
- Nest Cam IQ Outdoor also has strong Wi-Fi connectivity, clear night vision with infrared LED light, and a secure and locked-down mount that is impossible to tamper with.