With crime rates on the rise, homeowners are looking for ways to protect their property and loved ones. One of the best ways to do this is by installing a security camera. But what if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of wiring? Can a Ring Floodlight Cam be wired to a plug? The answer is yes! In fact, installing a Ring Floodlight Cam with a plug-in mount is easier than you think.
Homeowners who are researching how to do this can rest easy knowing that they don’t have to be an electrician to get the job done. In this blog, we’ll walk you through the steps to install a Ring Floodlight Cam with a plug-in mount and enjoy the benefits of added security without the hassle. So grab a cup of coffee and let’s get started!
Can Ring Floodlight Cam be Wired to a Plug?
Yes, the Ring Floodlight Cam can be wired to a plug. Although it is designed to be hardwired to a junction box, it can also be wired to a plug and placed into a socket instead. Conventional Live, Neutral, and Earth cables are all that are required for wiring.
However, it should be noted that the Ring Cam Wired can only provide power to a single device and the outlet needs to be on the same circuit as the camera. As well, the camera has to plug into an outlet, a nearby outlet, or an extension cord that is not being used is necessary.
This option provides greater flexibility in terms of placement and allows for easier installation. To wire the Ring Floodlight Cam to a plug, you will need a few tools and materials.
Here is an ordered list of what you will need:
- Ring Floodlight Cam
- Wire strippers
- Electrical tape
- Live, neutral, and earth cables
It is important to note that if you are not comfortable working with electrical wiring, it is best to hire a professional electrician to do the installation for you. Also, make sure to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when working with electricity.
One common issue that may arise during the installation process is the need for an extension cord if there is no nearby outlet available. If this is the case, make sure to use a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord that is rated for the amount of power the Ring Floodlight Cam requires.
How do you install a Ring Floodlight Cam with a plug-in mount?
Installing a Ring Floodlight Cam with a plug-in mount is an easy and convenient way to ensure non-stop power without the need for a junction box or existing outdoor wiring.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install it:
- Turn off the power to the floodlight circuit at the breaker box and use a circuit tester to check the wires for current. Check the junction box if it is made of metal, as metals are good conductors of electricity.
- Mount the bracket to the junction box, making sure the two posts are flush with the ground so it stays in place.
- Pull the wires through the center of the bracket and secure the bracket to your junction box with at least two screws.
- Use the hook provided to hang the camera from the bracket while still connecting the wires. Hook one end of the hook into one of the mounting holes on the flood camera and the other end into one of the holes in the bracket.
- Connect the copper ground wire from the floodlight camera to the green ground screw on the bracket and the existing ground wire inside the junction box. Use a supplied wire nut to connect the wires together.
- Use the plug-in mount to connect your Floodlight Cam Wired Pro or Floodlight Cam Wired Plus to a standard outlet for non-stop power. The additional mounting holes and adjustable wiring provide more flexibility, allowing you to set up everything in just a few minutes.
It’s important to comply with your local building and wiring codes and to shut off the power to the floodlight circuit at the breaker box before installation. Also, make sure to mount your Ring Floodlight Cam at a height of exactly one meter above the ground to optimize motion detection.
Ring Plug-In Mount for Cams Floodlight Cam Wired Pro and Floodlight Cam Wired Plus
The Ring Plug-In Mount for Floodlight Cams is an accessory that allows the Floodlight Cam Wired Pro and Floodlight Cam Wired Plus to be connected to a standard power outlet for non-stop power.
This Plug-In Mount is designed to be used in homes that don’t have an existing junction box or outdoor wiring. The installation process is straightforward and can be completed in just a few minutes.
Here are the steps required to install the Plug-In Mount:
- First, ensure that the power outlet you plan to use is located within 20ft (6m) of where you want to install the Floodlight Cam.
- Next, plug the Ring Plug-In Mount into the power outlet.
- Connect the Floodlight Cam to the Plug-In Mount using the included cable. The cable length is 20ft (6m), so make sure to position the Floodlight Cam within this range.
- Once the Floodlight Cam is connected to the Plug-In Mount, you can adjust the wiring and mounting holes to get the perfect angle and position.
It’s important to take some safety precautions during the installation process. Make sure to turn off the power to the outlet before plugging in the Plug-In Mount. Also, ensure that the Floodlight Cam is securely mounted and positioned correctly to avoid any accidents or damage.
Here is a video guide on how to install a Ring floodlight Cam with a plug-in mount made for Ring floodlight cameras:
Using the Plug-In Mounts has several benefits.
- It eliminates the need for outdoor wiring or a junction box, which makes it an ideal solution for homes without existing outdoor wiring.
- It provides non-stop power to the Floodlight Cam, ensuring that it’s always on and functioning correctly.
- The Plug-In Mounts are weather-resistant, which means they can withstand harsh weather conditions.
In conclusion, the Ring Plug-In Mount for Floodlight Cams is an excellent accessory that allows you to connect your Floodlight Cam Wired Pro and Floodlight Cam Wired Plus to a standard power outlet easily.
The installation process is straightforward and can be completed in just a few minutes. By using the Plug-In Mounts, you can eliminate the need for outdoor wiring, ensure non-stop power to your Floodlight Cam, and enjoy the benefits of a weather-resistant mounting solution.
Can the outside wire be cut by an intruder? If so, how can I prevent this?
The outside wire of the Ring Floodlight Cam can be vulnerable to intruders, who may cut it and render the security camera useless. If the wire is cut, the camera cannot transmit live video surveillance, and the property owner will be unaware of any potential threats.
To prevent this, there are several preventive measures that can be taken.
- The wires can be camouflaged with paint or covered with siding or raceways.
- The wires can be inserted into the walls or hidden in plastic tubing.
- The wires can be buried underground or blended with the landscaping using wire covers.
These preventive measures will ensure that the outside wire of the Ring Floodlight Cam is secured and the camera functions properly, providing adequate security for the property.
In conclusion, it is crucial to take steps to secure the outside wire of the Ring Floodlight Cam to prevent intruders from cutting it and compromising the security of the property.
Can Ring Floodlight camera be hard-wired?
Yes, the Ring Floodlight Cam can be hard-wired. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- The Ring Floodlight Cam is intended to be hard-wired to a junction box and is designed to replace an existing outdoor light.
- It can also be wired to a plug using Live, Neutral, and Earth cables, but there are limitations: the outlet needs to be on the same circuit as the camera, the camera can only provide power to a single device, and you’ll need a nearby outlet that’s not being used.
- The Floodlight Cam can be hardwired permanently or modified to allow changing the power source on a temporary basis, using a cord with an inlet and outlet in the same location.
- Hardwiring the Floodlight Cam can be more convenient than using a plug, as you don’t have to worry about running cords and you can change the brightness of the floodlights in the Ring app.
In conclusion, hard wiring the Ring Floodlight Cam provides a more permanent and reliable power source for the device, with the added benefit of easier control over the floodlight brightness.
Can you add a plug to Ring camera?
Yes, you can add a plug to a Ring camera, including the Ring Floodlight security camera. While the Ring Floodlight camera is intended to be hard-wired to a junction box, it can also be wired to a plug and placed in a socket instead.
However, there are some limitations to consider, such as the need for the outlet to be on the same circuit as your camera and that the camera can only provide power to a single device. If you are considering purchasing a Ring Floodlight camera with a plug-in configuration, it is important to note that the bracket kit may need to be purchased separately.
As well, while there may be some differences between a plug-in security device and a wired one, the plug-in option can be a good alternative if you do not have the wired option available in the area where you want to place the camera.
Can Ring Floodlight Cam be wired to a switch?
Yes. The Ring Floodlight Cam can be wired to a switch, but it requires constant power to operate the camera or lights. If you wire the cam to a physical toggle switch, you will need to use the Ring app to manually control the lights to turn them on or off.
It is recommended to use the Floodlight Cam as a replacement for an existing outdoor light and hard-wire it to a junction box. However, it is possible to wire the cam to a plug and place it in a socket instead, as long as the outlet is on the same circuit as the camera and there is a nearby outlet available.
It is important to note that if you modify the power source to allow for temporary changes, it is recommended to use a cord with an inlet and outlet in the same location.
What is a ring floodlight camera plug-in adapter?
The Ring Floodlight Cam plug-in adapter is a device that allows homeowners to connect their Floodlight Cam Wired Pro or Floodlight Cam Wired Plus into a standard outlet for non-stop power. This adapter is designed to be easily installed in homes that do not have a junction box or existing outdoor wiring.
It comes with additional mounting holes and adjustable wiring, making it easy to set up in just a few minutes. The adapter provides homeowners with around-the-clock power and peace of mind, as it allows the Floodlight Cam to be continuously powered and active.