The Ring Floodlight Cam is an easy-to-use home security camera that is designed to record events in detail when an alarm is triggered. It is motion activated by the motion detector found in your home, and it captures a full HD video of the surrounding area.
The short answer is yes, but there are some limitations. Ring Cam Wired can only provide power to a single device (not two). The outlet needs to be on the same circuit as your camera. And the camera has to plug into an outlet, so you’ll need a nearby outlet (or extension cord) that’s not being used.
A floodlight cam can be wired to a plug. Wiring the cam will only work if you are able to make electrical connections. It needs power along with one or more wires, several circuits, and the plugs used on electricity boards. Ring Floodlight camera is designed to be hardwired, but you can use a power extender. The Ring Floodlight Cam plugs into a five-plug outlet.
The Ring Floodlight Cam can be hardwired permanently, or the power source can be modified to allow changing it on a temporary basis. In the latter case, if you believe your home’s electrical requirements will change in the future, it is recommended that you use a cord with an inlet and outlet in the same location.
If you have chosen the Ring Floodlight Cam as your security system, then it is important that you wire it so that it can be powered from an outlet. This allows you to use its battery to conserve power when there is no plug nearby.
How do I install Ring floodlight cam with the existing wire?
If you have a Ring Floodlight Cam and it’s installed with the existing wiring, but you are wondering how to install Ring Floodlight Cam with the existing wiring, this post is for you.
If you have a Wire-Striping Tool, Crimp Connectors, Wire Cutters, and Electrical Tape on hand then read on. This post will walk you through how to install a Ring Floodlight cam using your current wire that’s already running to your switch box.
Ring Floodlight Cam can be installed with the existing wiring and an additional wire is not required. The Ring Floodlight Cam has a removable white plug that connects to the receptacle on the back of the camera.
If you are looking for a Floodlight Cam that works with your current wire, then you want the first-generation Ring Floodlight. It’s no longer offered by Ring but it does work with existing wiring.
The Floodlight Cam uses two wires with black insulation. The Floodlight Cam is designed to work with a 10-30VAC or 10-30VDC power adapter, which means it will work on wiring for both 110 VAC and 220 VAC and on 12 VDC to 24VDC.
If you’ve had an electrician install your floodlights, then there’s no power adapter required and everything is already installed and working.
There is an easier way to install Ring floodlight cam with the existing wire without cutting or splicing. The video tutorial below will show you how to do it.
How to install ring floodlight cam without existing wiring
Ring Floodlight Cam is easy and quick to install, no matter how much wiring is in the area. Designed for outdoor use, this camera features weatherproof construction; so it’s perfect for any season. If you own your home, it’s easy to install Ring Floodlight Cam without any wiring.
All you need is a power supply and an internet connection. Let our handy installation guide take you through the process step-by-step. We’ll also show you how to configure this camera with Ring’s Home app on your smartphone or tablet, as well as how to access live video on your device and make quick changes to settings.
Make sure you comply with your local building and wiring codes. The importance of this point cannot be overstated.
Absolutely. You should shut off the power to the floodlight circuit at the breaker box. This is very important, so make sure you know which breaker is connected to it.
To make sure the power is properly disconnected, use a circuit tester to check the wires for current. Also check the junction box if it is made of metal, as metals are good conductors of electricity.
- Mount your ring flood camera at a height of exactly one metre above the ground. This will position the motion detector parallel to the ground, which is an optimal position to detect human-sized objects at a distance of up to three meters.
- The next step is to mount the bracket to the junction box, making sure the two posts are flush with the ground so it stays in place. Next, pull the wires through the center of the bracket and secure the bracket to your junction box with at least two screws.
- At this point, you can now use the hook provided to hang the camera from the bracket while still connecting the wires. Be sure to hook one end of the hook into one of the mounting holes on the flood camera and the other end into one of the holes in the bracket.
- Then connect the copper ground wire from the floodlight camera to the green ground screw on the bracket and the existing ground wire inside the junction box. Use a supplied wire nut to connect the wires together.
- Connect the camera’s white neutral wire to the neutral wire coming out of the junction box, also using the nut. Then, using another wire nut, connect the camera’s black hot lead to the hot lead coming out of the junction box. Note that the coloring of the wires in the junction box may be the same. If this is not the case, make sure you know which wire is the neutral wire and which is the hot wire. It is very important that you know which wire is which when installing, and if you get stuck at any point, consider getting the help of an electrician as this can be very helpful.
- You can then unhook the camera and push all the wires through the large hole in the middle of the mount. Align the mounting posts with the holes on the camera and press them together.
- Secure the cap nuts on the screws with the included orange screwdriver handle that is packaged with the flood camera.
- Then loosen the light adjustment knobs and lock the cuffs to adjust the lights to the desired viewing angle.
- Turn the power back on at the breaker box to test the connections.
- After power is restored, the lights will turn on, that is, if you followed the instructions correctly, and the camera will begin talking to you to let you know it is in setup mode.
Can the outside wire be cut by an intruder? If so, how can I prevent this?
Contact an electrician, Turn your power off, remove your outside porch light 115 vac unit. The outside porch light 115 vac unit needs to be removed by an electrician. You should have the ring wired to the back door where the porch light used to be. They’re not going to see any wires.