The notion of building a wireless security camera system is an exciting one. The problem is, most of the home security camera systems we look at are powered by AA batteries. They work great in the sense that they last a long time and are easy to use. However, these cameras use power regularly to maintain the network and thus, battery life becomes a big issue.
Wireless security cameras get their power from either battery or directly from an electric source. Most, if not all cameras come with power outlets. In summary, there are three major ways by which wireless cameras get their power as highlighted below.
- Some wireless security cameras get their power by plugging into a direct source
- Some security cameras are battery-powered. They get their power with absolutely no wires at all, which is they are called battery-powered cameras. The only issue here is the duration of the batteries since they are not connected directly to any power source.
- Security cameras with rechargeable batteries and solar chargers. You only need solar panels to charge the rechargeable battery which stores the power for weeks. It needs no cable for both data transmission and power supply.
So, your typical wireless Security IP cameras require two major power sources: one connected to the camera (e.g battery, plugs, etc), and the other connected to the receiver inside the control room.
How long do batteries last in wireless security cameras?
Just so you know, the longer the lasting capacity of your battery-powered wireless security camera, the longer it will work for you.
On average, the battery of a good wireless security camera on average lasts for about 4-6 weeks with average use without charging. However, most modern battery-powered cameras will only wake up when motion is detected which in turn saves the battery life of the camera.
It will interest you to know that, we tested the battery life of some security cameras under supervision both day and night to ascertain the actual duration it works using only battery power and has come to the conclusion that a security camera like the Reolink Argus 2 and two other motion detectors, in both day and night conditions could last weeks without charging. We achieved this claim by actually forcing it to record continuously and to determine exactly, how far a battery-powered wireless camera can work.
This longer the battery of a wireless cam lasts depends on the battery capacity. Cameras with battery capacity up to 5000mAh last longer than that of 3000mAh under the same working condition. Reolink Argus 2 and other quality cameras tested has a battery capacity of 5200mAh.
How long does the Reolink Argus 2 battery last?
The Argus 2 uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts up to six months before needing to be recharged. To recharge the Reolink Argus 2 battery, you can remove the entire camera or just the quick-release battery. Just bring it in and plug it into a USB power source to charge it. Preferably, you can buy a Reolink Argus 2 security camera with weatherproof solar panel and not worry about the battery at all.
How to prolong the battery life of your wireless CCTV camera
In as much as the battery of your Security camera lasts long, there are some safety tips to help it last more and serve you better as listed below.
- Temperature: Do not use your camera in extremely low or hi weather conditions, this reduces its lifespan. It is advised not to use it between -10 and 55 degrees Celsius.
- Do not use in low light conditions: Just like the human eyes tend to be stressed out in low light conditions, the same thing applies to your CCTV wireless security camera. It overworks itself in low light conditions thereby using much power than required.
- Reduce video resolution: The recommended video quality for your wireless camera is between 720p and 1080p resolution.
- Better connectivity: Connectivity problems in your wireless security camera can reduce its battery life. Always make sure everything is tightly connected.
- Do not allow the battery to drain flat. This is very important, most of these cameras have a warning sign whenever the battery is getting low, you should always ensure to charge it up early to prolong its capabilities.
- Use uninterrupted power supply (UPS) battery backup during the power outage also use a backup generator when power is out.