Many homeowners and business owners have experienced this issue of their Reolink Security Camera not connecting when installing a Reolink camera.
Luckily, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to help you get back up and running in no time. With the right solutions and technical support, you can have your Reolink camera connected and working properly again.
This article will provide helpful information to assist you in tackling your connectivity issues and getting your Reolink security camera connected.
What causes a Reolink security camera not to connect?
A Reolink security camera not connecting can be caused by a number of things, such as incompatibility between the camera and the home network, or even issues with the router, app permissions, or signal strength.
To address this, users should try to reset the Reolink camera factory default settings, remove their VPN, check the app permissions, improve the signal strength, and try a different router. If that doesn’t work, they should reboot the camera, or if necessary, hard reset the Reolink device.
Why is my Reolink camera not connecting?
Reolink cameras connect to a network so users can have remote access to them via smartphone, computer, or tablet. However, sometimes users experience issues with their Reolink camera not connecting to their home network.
Potential causes of this issue include the camera not connecting with its power source, the camera being in a low signal area, or the incorrect setup of the camera. Thankfully, there are solutions available for this issue, which will be discussed in the next section.
Possible solutions on how to fix a Reolink security camera that won’t connect
1. Reset Camera to Factory Default Settings
If you want to reset your Reolink security camera to its factory default settings, you can follow these simple steps:
- Press the Reset button and hold on, then power on the camera while pressing the Reset button.
- Hold for about 10 seconds then release the Reset button.
- After resetting, your camera will return to factory default settings, then you can log in with the default username and password.
This is a much more detailed way to reset your Reolink camera according to Reolink
2. Verify Wifi Settings
Verifying your WiFi settings is an important step in troubleshooting a Reolink security camera that won’t connect. To do this, you’ll need to run the free Reolink Client software on your computer and add the camera to the Client software.
Once you’ve done that, you can then head to the WiFi settings and check the SSID and password. Make sure that the SSID is the same as the SSID of your router and that the password is correct. Additionally, check the distance between the IP camera and the router and make sure that the WiFi signal is strong enough.
If the signal is less than one bar, it means your IP camera is too far away from the router or there might be too many barriers (such as walls) between the two.
In this case, you may need to purchase a WiFi booster or extender for the router to extend the WiFi range. If the router’s firewall is on, it may also be blocking security camera connections. Ensure that the firewall is off to fix this issue.
3. Check Router and Firewall Settings
If the camera can be accessed in LAN but fails to be accessed remotely, check the firewall settings of the router to see if the remote access is blocked. Please disable the firewall on the router.
4. Check for Internet Connection Problems
Checking for internet connection problems with a Reolink security camera that won’t connect can be done in a few simple steps.
- Check the IP Camera Antennas to make sure the camera is receiving a signal. If the signal is weak or not detected, reposition the camera to receive a better signal.
- Next, make sure the wireless IP Camera is powered on and that the password is correct. If you’re using a router, check the SSID settings to make sure it’s compatible with the camera.
- Check for any potential signal interference by looking for nearby devices that may be interfering with the camera’s Wi-Fi connection. If there’s no interference, check to make sure the IP Camera has the correct IP address.
- You can try changing the frequency band of the router to eliminate any potential issues with the current setting.
5. Try Another Wireless Router
Yes, you should try another wireless router to try and fix a Reolink security camera that won’t connect. There could be an inherent problem with the current network equipment, such as the router, Ethernet cables, and network switches.
Low-quality routers might have poor signal transmission capabilities or be unable to accommodate the internet service’s bandwidth, and network switches might fail over time.
A congested and slow wireless network can also lead to IP cameras not connecting or going offline. You should try switching the frequency band to 5 GHz (5.8 GHz) for a higher data transmission rate and thus, reducing the chances of signal loss and interference.
If all else fails, you can also try hardwiring the security camera to the router with a Power over Ethernet (PoE) to strengthen and stabilize data transmission signals. You should also relocate the camera closer to the Wi-Fi router or buy a Wi-Fi extender for better signal strength.
6. Install the Latest Camera Software
Installing the latest software for a Reolink security camera that won’t connect can be done by updating both the software and firmware to the latest versions. You can check the Reolink website for the latest versions of the software.
Often, the issue is caused by incompatible software and firmware versions, so updating them is key. Make sure to download the correct version of the firmware for your camera.
In addition to updating the software and firmware, you should also check your camera settings. If the camera is not powered on, connected to the same network as the computer, or not set up properly, it may not show up in the software. It is also important to check if any firewalls are blocking the communication.
When you have finished updating the software and firmware and ensuring that all settings are correct, you should be able to connect to the camera via software.
It is important to keep your security cameras up to date, as tech companies roll out products faster than ever before. Regular software and firmware updates are provided to keep devices up to speed with technological developments.
7. Update Firmware on Router and Camera
Updating the firmware on a router and a Reolink security camera can help fix connection issues, as outdated software and firmware can lead to instabilities in device-system communication. It can also prevent security issues and offer more robust program features.
Outdated firmware can cause the security cam to disconnect more frequently than usual, while outdated software can lead to incompatibility issues and make it difficult to connect to the security camera remotely. Therefore, by keeping both the software and the firmware up to date, users can ensure that their Reolink security camera will remain connected and functioning properly.
8. Check for Internet Congestion
- Use speed test applications or similar tools to determine your internet bandwidth.
- Monitor the bandwidth usage of your network by installing a bandwidth monitoring tool.
- Identify the devices consuming the most bandwidth and consider requesting an upgrade of your internet service provider if necessary.
- Reduce the video quality of your security camera to lessen bandwidth usage.
- Check the quality of your router, Ethernet cables, and network switches.
- Switch from 2.4GHz to 5GHz frequency to reduce signal loss and interference.
- Make sure your internet service provider is not experiencing any maintenance work or outages.
9. Contact Reolink Support
If you are having trouble connecting your Reolink security camera and cannot find the solution in the FAQs, you may need to contact Reolink support for assistance. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the official Reolink website and locate the “Support” page.
- Under the Support page, you can find the “Contact Us” section.
- Click on the “Contact Us” button to open a form where you can enter your contact information and details about the problem you are experiencing.
- Enter your name, email address, and a brief description of the issue you are having.
- Select the type of product from the drop-down menu and indicate which camera, if applicable, is giving you trouble.
- Select the type of issue from the options provided.
- Click the “Send” button to submit your request for help.
Once you have submitted your request, Reolink support will get back to you as soon as possible. They may ask you to provide additional information, such as your product’s serial number, to help them diagnose the problem. They will work with you to determine the best solution for your situation.
How to Fix Reolink Poe Camera Not Connecting
If your Reolink POE camera is not connecting, there are a few possible solutions you can try to get your camera up and running.
- Reset the camera: Disconnect the power cable, reset the Reolink camera in the settings, and then reconnect the power cable. Wait until you hear a sound before connecting.
- Check power source: Check the outlet and the DC adapter/power cord are working properly.
- Use a different Ethernet port: Use a different Ethernet port and cable to see if your device can connect to the network.
- Use Ethernet cables: For WiFi cameras and cameras in the NVR kit, try to use Ethernet cables to directly connect them to your router and see whether your device can be connected to the network successfully.
- Check router: Check if your router has Internet access and reboot the camera and router or reset the camera.
- Enable UDP ports: Make sure all the UDP ports of this camera in your router are enabled.
- Disable firewall: Check the firewall settings of the router to see if the remote access is blocked and disable the firewall on the router.
Tips to Fix Your Reolink IP Camera WiFi Not Working or Not Connecting
1. Check the IP Camera Antennas to Fix No WiFi Detected
Check if the antennas are fixed well or not in the first place when you find the IP camera won’t connect to WiFi. Normally, when you get the product package, the antennas are not connected to the camera.
You need to manually install the antennas to the wireless IP camera and make sure you’ve tightened the antennas to the camera.
2. Make Sure the Wireless IP Camera Is Powered on
Check if the power supply of the Reolink IP camera is working properly. Make sure the power adapter is plugged into a working socket and if you get a battery-powered Reolink IP camera, check if the battery is still at work and change or charge it up.
Make sure the camera has power and the LED status is ON. You can also use the Reolink app to check if you can have access to the live video.
Ensure all the connections are correct and the camera is powered up. Check the user manual or quick guide to make sure you’ve connected the camera as expected.
3. Ensure the Password Is Correct
Ensuring that your password is correct when trying to fix a Reolink IP camera that won’t connect is important in order to ensure a successful connection. If the wrong password is entered, the camera won’t be able to connect to the WiFi network.
This can result in network bugs and connection errors, making it difficult to troubleshoot the problem. Therefore, it is important to make sure the correct password is used when attempting to troubleshoot a Reolink camera that won’t connect.
Additionally, it is important to make sure that the app has the necessary permissions to access the network and that the signal strength is sufficient. If these steps do not work, users may need to try a different router, reboot the camera, or even reset the camera.
4. Make Sure There Is No Signal Interference
Check that all your wireless devices, such as phones, video game consoles, computers, Bluetooth headphones, garage doors, and satellite dishes, are operating on a different frequency than your Reolink IP camera.
Check your router settings to ensure it is running optimally, and that your bandwidth is sufficient for all your internet-connected devices. Place your camera in an area as close as possible to the router, with as few obstructions as possible.
5. Change the Frequency Band of Your Router
Changing the frequency band of your router can help fix a Reolink IP camera WiFi not working or not connecting problem by reducing interference during data transmission.
As 2.4GHz frequency is widely used by home appliances, it is more likely to suffer from overcrowding of channels, which can lead to signal loss and interference. Switching to a dual-band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) router can help reduce the chances of signal loss and ensure faster data transmission.
This is especially beneficial for Reolink security cameras, which require a dual-band router to work properly. In addition, using a less crowded frequency band such as 5 GHz can also be beneficial for improving the connection of your IP cameras.
6. Update Firmware/Software
Updating the firmware/software can help fix many issues with a Reolink IP camera that is not working or not connecting. Here are the steps to do so:
- Visit the Reolink website to update the client software and confirm that all the features are available.
- Look for firmware updates for your camera on the manufacturer’s or the IP camera company’s website and make sure to download the corresponding version for your security camera.
- Install the latest firmware version for your wireless IP camera—the new firmware could fix the IP camera WiFi not working issue.
- Update the software to the latest version to match the firmware.
- Check if the surveillance software or app is the latest version.
- Install the updated firmware for your camera.
By following these steps, you will be able to fix any issues with your Reolink IP camera that is not working or not connecting properly.
9. Contact Reolink Support Team
If you are having an issue with the Reolink client not finding your camera in the network, you should first check your network configuration and make sure any firewalls are not blocking the connection.
If the issue persists, you can contact the Reolink Support team for further assistance. Here are the steps to do this:
- Visit the Reolink website and go to the ‘Support’ page.
- Select ‘Contact Support’ from the list of options.
- Enter your contact information, such as your name, email address, and the country you are located in.
- Enter a brief description of your issue in the ‘Description’ box.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button and wait for a response from the Reolink support team.
How do I update the firmware for my Reolink Security Camera?
Updating the firmware for your Reolink Security Camera is a simple process that can be done in a few steps.
- First, you will need to go to the Reolink website and download the latest firmware for your camera model. Make sure to double-check that you are downloading the right version before proceeding.
- Then, you can use the Reolink Client software on your computer to initiate the update process.
- After that, you will have to press and hold the reset button on your camera panel for three to five seconds. You should hear a beeping sound twice that indicates your camera is connecting to the Wi-Fi connection.
- Finally, you can go into the Wi-Fi settings through your Reolink camera app and enter your router’s Wi-Fi username and password to connect it.
Once your camera is updated to the latest version of the firmware, you will be able to enjoy all its features without any glitches.
Why Your Reolinik IP Camera Cannot Connect to Your Router WiFi or to Your Phone
There are several possible causes for connection failure when remotely accessing Reolink IP cameras. It may be due to the camera not communicating with your router, the router port or firewall blocking the camera’s internet connection, the camera not having the latest firmware, or the camera not having been added with UID/QR code.
Why is my Reolink camera not connecting to the network?
Sometimes the Reolink camera does not connect to the network due to a wrong network configuration or a firewall blocking the traffic between the devices. To fix this issue, a firewall rule must be created to allow data communication between the computer and the Reolink camera.